Let’s face the truth, bodily hair on a female is normally frowned upon. Our male counterparts will get featured in magazines and have mail from secret admirers flooding their mailboxes just for having hairy legs. Yes, they can get away with looking like Chewbacca but we get the salon trips to bond with the girls and have the unwanted hair removed. Seems a tad fair to me.
Now I know not everyone can spare a whole day at the beauty salon getting dolled up, but we all love to pamper ourselves right? Plus all that money spent on waxing could easily be spent elsewhere. Let’s not even delve into using replaceable razors argh! If you want to enjoy the smooth life from the comfort of your home, you need to buy an epilator.
If you are reading this post and have never tried one before, you must be thinking “Why should I get one?” The benefits of epilators far outweigh benefits gained from using other shaving methods. Allow me to start with the award winning no itchy stubble. Epilators pull shorter hairs out by the roots meaning less damage to the skin and hair cells. The results of using these appliances are amazing and hair development is hindered for an entire month. Oh, did I mention your tan lasts longer? Epilating won’t remove your skin’s top layer like waxing. It only removes the hair leaving your tan intact.
How do you choose the best epilator for you? This post will guide you on what features to look for and offer suggestions of top models.
The Best Epilators Will Pack These Features
Power and effectiveness. An epilator’s power is determined by the number of tweezers it has. Tweezers pull out the hairs so more tweezers means faster epilating. The least number of tweezers an epilator can have is 20 with the most being 72. Having fewer tweezers does not mean the epilator does a shoddy job. It just means you’ll spend a little more time epilating.
Wet or dry usage. Dry usage epilators offer better performance but are restricted to dry skin. Wet usage epilators on the other hand offer better comfort. Warm water causes pore to open making epilating easier and reducing pain. I am partial to epilators that offer both features because they do not limit my choices.
Caps. These are attachments that come with the epilator. Each cap has its unique function. There are those that help with sensitive skin, others reduce pain, lift hair or pivot to increase coverage. When choosing an epilator, be sure to check if it has an available attachment that suits your needs.
Other features. Epilators will come with other features unique to each brand. These include; LED lights, cord or cordless, hair lifting, speed settings, and even travel cases. Most of these extra features are dependent on prices.
Comparison Of Some Of The Best Epilators In The Market
Braun silk epil9
Panasonic ES ED90-P
Microgrip tweezer technology
32 ceremic tweezers for efficient performance
72 tweezers for ultra-fast epilation
A gentle cap for beginners and a separate head to file the hard skin on your feet
The massaging cap with aloe Vera that’s great for sensitive skin.
When hair does grow back, it is lighter and less noticeable
It is a time saver because there’s no need to wait an entire hour for it to charge
It is the fastest epilator courtesy of its 72 tweezers and17-mm disc opening.
It is quiet.
It works well on the face.
It is quite slow owing to the fact that it has 32 tweezers.
It is a little bulky.
Requires several passes for thorough performance.
Ineffective on short or coarse hair.
Need The Keys To Silky Smooth Skin? These Epilators Have The Answer
I was very excited when I received my package. The Braun Silk-epil 9 epilator is available in white, purple, and pink. Being the girly girl I am, I was beyond happy when I unwrapped my pink Braun Silk epil 9 9-579. In my opinion it has to be the prettiest epilator at the moment. The design is so sleek that I’ve nicknamed my gadget Sexy Jay, but who would expect less from Braun.
- Tweezers. This Braun has 40 tweezers. But what sets it apart from other epilators with the same number of tweezers? The tweezers have the microgrip tweezer technology. This helps it remove tiny hairs as short as 0.5mm. Aside from that, the head is 40% wider with bigger, differently shaped tweezers. This covers more skin and speeds up epilation.
- Accessories. This Braun comes with all caps and heads. It is a Jack of All Trades sort. You will not need a separate facial epilator. It also includes a shaver head, trimmer cap, cleansing brush for facial exfoliation and a charging stand.
- Dry and wet usage. It can be used in the shower and out of the shower. For obvious reasons, you cannot use it in the shower while it is charging. Charging period is approximately 1 hour and the green led stops flashing when it is fully charged.
- Speed settings. It has two speed settings that personalize the experience. I would recommend speed 1 for newbies and anyone that needs extra gentle epilation. Speed 2 offers extra efficient epilation and is recommended for anyone with a high threshold for pain.
- The different attachments make it possible to use it on technically all hairy parts of your body (minus your head).
- You can bet your skin will remain silky for up to four weeks.
- It dots on sensitive skin because it doesn’t pull the skin while removing the hairs.
- When hair does grow back, it is lighter and less noticeable.
- Newbies brace yourselves. It can get quite painful but hey, even beauty has a price.
Who wouldn’t want to try out the only epilator famed for having ceramic tweezers? It was love at first sight with the Philips HP6576 epilator. The box opens from the top to reveal an epilator with an ergonomic shape. Plus it is feminine and exudes a sense of power.
- Tweezers. It has 32 ceramic tweezers that perform quite efficiently. The number should not discourage anyone. The Philips HP6576 epilator is powerful though it takes a little longer to get silky smooth skin.
- Wet and dry usage. This epilator might be cordless but it can be used dry only. It takes 1 hour to charge. A few cordless epilators can be used while charging and this is one of them. You can save time this way and that is a plus.
- Accessories. The massage system is a welcome idea. It helps with pain while creating a comforting feeling. But don’t think that makes the experience entirely painless. The gadget also features an active hair lifter system that is great with flat or tiny hairs. There is a pivoting head that helps to access difficult spots.
- LED light. It features a LED light that’s very bright and useful in ensuring no hairs are left behind.
What is not great?
- It is quite a painful epilator. If you are used to waxing or epilating then the experience will not be too painful.
- It is quite slow owing to the fact that it has 32 tweezers.
- You can’t use it as a facial epilator as it has no facial cap.
The Emjoi AP-18 Emagine epilator resembles a men’s electric shaver. It comes in a hot red Ferrari color and feels a little heavy. Emjoi have clearly outdone themselves with this groundbreaking epilator that features 72 tweezers. The epilator uses Emjoi’s patented Glide Technology to lift the hair for quick and easy removal. Did I mention the epilator offers Silver Ion Technology to provide antimicrobial protection from bacteria? A first of its kind.
- Tweezers. 72 is the number. This is worth a standing ovation. It offers minimum number of passes at increased speed. Can you imagine how fast epilating is? Working on both legs should take about 10 – 20 minutes.
- Heads/caps. Dual opposed heads keep the skin taut while in use to reduce discomfort. It also has staggered heads that maximize efficiency reducing number of passes required.
- Silver Ion Technology. This reduces the possibility of infection.
- Usage. This Emagine is a dry use only epilator. It should never be immersed in water even when cleaning.
- It is the fastest epilator courtesy of its 72 tweezers and 17-mm disc opening.
- Has a one-year warranty.
- This model minimizes chances of ingrown hair and is more thorough than other epilators and yet it causes less irritation.
- It is less painful to epilate using this device than with other epilators in the market.
- It is heavier and bulkier than most other epilators.
- It has no light so it may be difficult to see whether you have removed all the hair in darker areas.
The Panasonic ES ED90 epilator comes in a beautiful box that shows a model with silky smooth skin. It opens from the top to reveal an oval shaped epilator made out of plastic. The color is lovely and very attractive. The body size is super compact making it an easy travel accessory. Probably that is why they included the travelling pouch.
- Tweezers. It features 48 metal tweezers. To address the question of pain, the epilator has a gentle cap for beginners and people with a low threshold for pain. It allows removal of less hair meaning less pain.
- Battery life. Most units come charged although it is recommended to fully charge the gadget before putting it to use. It blinks red while charging. It is not wise to use the Panasonic ES-ED90 while charging because it is a wet and dry model. Panasonic claims the battery has a shelf life of 3 years if it is used once every week.
- Attachments. The unit comes with six different attachments. It accords you the power to shave, trim, and epilate hair. As a plus, there is a separate head that lets you file the hard skin on your feet.
- Noise level. This is one of the quietest epilators in the market at just 67 decibels.
- Has a 2 year warranty with a 30 day money back guarantee.
- It can be used wet or dry.
- There is a sense of privacy because it is quiet. Your nosy younger siblings won’t bombard you with questions when you leave the shower.
- They add in a beginner cap for newbies to shelter them from pain.
- You cannot use it while charging
- It requires several passes for a thorough performance
- It would also be great if future models are fitted with a rubber grip because the plastic gets slippery in the shower.
The box wowed me. It is very attractive and modern, talk of a good first impression. The Remington EP7030 epilator comes with 3 different caps, a small cleaning brush and detailed instructions on how to use the attachments. You also get a lovely satin case to keep the epilator and all the accessories in. The appliance may look bulky but it is actually light and fits comfortably in the hand.
- Battery life. When you get your unit you should charge it for 4 hours before usage. A green light indicates that it is charging. Afterwards, the epilator charges for an hour and can be used for up to 40 minutes without depleting its charge. When the battery is low the indicator lights up red.
- Attachments. There is a perfect angle cap for epilating the legs, a massaging cap with aloe Vera to sooth the skin and a precision cap for smaller more detailed areas. Sadly, the massaging cap does not reduce the pain experienced. However, it is great for people with sensitive skin because the aloe Vera reduces irritation.
- Wet and dry usage. It can be used in and out of the shower. In contrast to other wet and dry epilators, this one cannot be used in the bath as it shouldn’t be completely submerged in water.
- It works well on the face.
- There are two speed settings for convenience.
- This model can be used in and out of the shower.
- It has a two year warranty.
- It is ineffective on short hair and coarse hair.
- The caps fall off if pressure is exerted on the unit.
Epilators are a grooming must have even for folks that use other methods to get rid of body hair. They are so private and personal and help save a few pennies. Sure most… okay, all of them are painful to a degree but there are so many reasons why you should own one. Like what happens when you go for vacation and have some stubble coming up?
The above epilators are great and are leaders in their own leagues. But I am only human which means I have a favorite. The Braun epil9 carries the day for me. I loved using and reviewing it. What stole my heart is the fact that when my hair grew back, it was lighter and less noticeable. I hope this comprehensive epilator reviews makes your epilator shopping spree a whole lot easier.