Anyone who knows my hair journey knows that I take my hair seriously. I have struggled with my coarse, thick hair for quite some time especially since I stopped relaxing it.
Anyone with a thick mane that is not relaxed will tell you it is a nightmare to manage. I camped in salons, literally and spent a fortune on my kinky hair until I found the ideal straightening iron that not only leaves my thick hair surprisingly manageable but also soft and supple. I went on to sample a few more flat irons for thick hair, and this is what I came up with.
This table shows my preferred flat irons for thick hair in 2016.
Soft to Coarse
Mid-Textured to Coarse
13.2 x 2.2 x 7 inches
10.2 x 1.1 x 3 inches
13 x 3 x 5 inches
11.2 x 1.8 x 3 inches
10.2 x 1.2 x 3 inches
I look at the design of my intended purchase. Yea, I am that shallow. I like beautiful things because I want them to look good next to me.
BaByliss is known for producing some of the most superior products in the hair industry, and this particular straightening iron is no different. It comes with an 8-foot cord, which allows you to work on your hair as you do other things.
I also love the colors! (Remember aesthetics are my thing.) Mine is baby blue, and it looks great in my portable make-up kit.
The things I like most in BaBylissPRO Nano Straightening Iron
- The cord is eight foot long. Do you know how amazing that is? I can straighten my hair from across the room because the cord allows.
- It heats up to very high temperatures (450 degrees F precisely). This is a relief for people like me with thick and usually uncooperative hair. My hair has not looked as good as it does now in a long time. I think I am addicted to this straightening iron.
- Two for the price of one - It not only straightens hair but it also doubles up as a curling rod. The plates allow it to perform both tasks and it does it so well. They (plates) are also extra long (1.5 inches), which helps me get through my hair fast. It usually takes me just under seven minutes to get salon-like results.
- The plates heat up evenly, so you do not have to pass the iron through your hair more than twice. In some cases, I have found one pass do just fine. That is perfect for my hair as it means I would not be subjecting it to unnecessary heat.
I am yet to find a thing that I do not like in this straightening iron (I will update you if I do, but do not hold your breath). I have combed the web literally, seeking reviews on this product and all I got was positivity from customers who have used not only this but also other products by BaByliss. The consensus is that they could not be happier with their purchase several years down (some as many as 8).
This 13 x 3 x 5 inches straightening rod leaves your hair smooth and frizz-free. It works very well with thick, coarse hair due to the heat settings.
I especially marvel at the fact that you can take it as low as you wish for soft-textured hair and high for hair that needs more heating to co-operate.
- Multi-level heat control - We all do have different hair types. Mine is course while my friend’s is baby soft. The surprising factor about this straightening rod is that the both of us, with our different heat requirements, can use the same product. The multi-level heat control property can go as low as double digits to the highs of 400 degrees F.
- Moistening hair - Most people will tell you that they keep off straightening because it robs the hair of moisture. This much is true. However, if you have the kind of gear that has infrared energy and emits negative ions to break down the water clusters in the hair, your hair would not suffer breakage. This straightening rod not only straightens hair, but it also helps break those molecules down to leave it shiny, hydrated, and smooth.
- One Touch - You want a rod that straightens your hair with the fewest strokes (I know I do). That is what you get here. No repeated moves, no passing the rod twice. You know what this means ladies; not only do you get the job done in half the time but you spare your hair the repeated exposure to heat. Who doesn’t like that?
Things I do not like
There is one tiny bit of the bio ionic I do not like. It takes time to heat up. I have used straightening irons that heat up evenly in a less than a minute, but this one takes a bit of nudging. When you are in a hurry, this part will mess your plans.
I like the fact that the bio ionic straightening iron does not rob your hair of moisture. That is one of the most important features of any hair product. I also like the fact that when it heats up (even though it takes a minute), it gets your hair done in record time. The results are quite impressive too. This straightening rod is a worthy buy.
The one-inch cushion plates heat up evenly to give you even results from root to tip. I love the fact that you can straighten your hair in minimal time due to the size of the ceramic plates. The rod heats up to high temperatures and goes low for those with enviable soft-textured hair. The design and color are not bad all.
Features I like in Paul Mitchell’s straightening iron
- The size of the plates. You must have had one of those days when your hair needed touch-up, and you only had half the time before you were late for a date. You are left wondering whether to rock your crazy-looking mane in frizzes and pretend that it is the newest style or to fake a stomach upset. Well, we know that even you would not pull that crazy hair trick. And you don’t have to cancel your plans either when you have this amazing straightening iron that gets your hair straightened in less than five minutes. You will have people thinking that you sat down at the salon for three hours to get those results.
- The plates are not only long, but they also enrich your hair with moisture. There is a whole lot of science behind their manufacture, which gives the ceramic plates the ability to break down the water molecules in your hair and to spread it evenly. The results will be straight hair with its moisture still intact.
- This baby heats up to 400 degrees F for those of us well endowed with thick and coarse manes. My fellow frizzy-textured hair people, we have a straightening rod that understands our struggle for flowing hair.
At one time when I was using it, the barrel got very hot. I could hardly touch it until it cooled down (in about a minute). I found out from the manufacturer that it was a fault in very few pieces (so it is not the norm). If you encounter this with yours, I would advise notifying your retailer.
I have only had mine for six months, but I love it so far. I had reviewers who have had theirs for eight plus years write to me about their experiences, and I only got two negative reviews out of hundreds. This flat iron is in a class of its own. Do I think you should buy it? Like yesterday!
It is bright red, and you can control the temperature to go from 265 to 450 degrees F. I like the color as you can tell and I love the flexibility that makes it ideal for just about all hair types.
The plates are long and structured to smooth your hair and give it professional-like results. I like the fact that it is light-weighs less than a pound.
Things I like in this straightening rod
- Well, I like everything, but I especially like the size of the plates. I hate spending hours on my hair, as much as I like great results. This iron with its 4.5 inch-tapered rod makes it possible to get through your hair in less than ten minutes. Your hair not only looks and feels silky smooth at the end but it also feels nourished.
- The temperature control is a property that I would not do without. This hair straightener takes you from 265 to 400 degrees to take care of your soft hair to the coarse and kinky kind.
- Did you say you wanted curly hair? This baby gets you straight and curly with a little tweak of the settings.
Flaws of the straightener
- The handle heats up as quite a lot when you set it at 450 degrees F. I figured that is why the package includes a pair of gloves.
- 265 degrees F is quite high for soft-textured hair.
If you want the results of a professional hair salon from the comfort of your home, this is the straightener for you.
This sleek looker is made for professional hair care. You can be assured to turn heads and have to answer a few questions about your ‘hair stylist.’ With its multi-heat control and tapered ceramic plates, your hair will thank you by staying bouncy and sleek all week long.
What I like in Solano
The quality of this flat iron leaves long-lasting effects on your hair so that you do not have to get it done in less than a week (unless you want to keep it too curly or straight). The heat variations make it ideal for any hair type, from the soft kind that needs 170 degrees to the coarse variety that can take up to 450 degrees F.
The plates are not only sizable enough to help you work your hair in the least time possible, but also scientifically modified to unlock the moisture in your hair and to distribute it evenly.
It takes a tad long to heat up, but when it does, there is no turning back.
In could not recommend this product loud enough. It is one of the most amazing hair straighteners ever made.
My Final Take
These five items are my favorites, and I hate to choose, but I would have to say that BaBylissPRO Nano Straightening Iron and Paul Mitchell Protools Express Straightening Iron have a special place in my heart.
These two are some of the best flat irons for thick hair that the market has. They are gentle on the hair and heat up evenly to reduce the number of takes you have to do to get your hair in perfect condition.
Too much heat damages hair and with these two, I have found that I hardly have to repeat the process for two weeks (bear in mind that my hair is very coarse and thick).
The initial outlay is not much compared to the money you are going to save in the future. They have served me well. I haven’t been to the salon for straightening in over four years (and I have not had a bad hair day in the same period). I would recommend these two flat irons to anyone who wants professional hair service for their thick hair in the comfort of their home.