These best hair dryers for fine hair could be your ticket away from ‘limp hairville’
“My hair is like… I have none” – Britney Spears. If you cannot relate to this iconic quote then you do not know the struggles of having fine hair. I know I’m not alone when I say my hair journey has been a sob story.
Have you ever walked into the salon for extensions and your hairdresser shakes her head in despair? You just don’t have enough hair to cover the extensions. So every time you see girls with thick luxurious manes you get depressed.
Did I mention a pound of hairspray can’t hold up your curls? And wearing your hair up feels like advertising your scalp. Yes people, I see you staring. In short, all hairstyles tend to be borderline invisible.
Gambling with your choice of hair dryer is a risk especially for someone whose hair is already full of static. Fine hair aka perpetually flat needs volume. Once you figure out that all voluming products are all talk and no results, you will need a good dryer.
Most dryers pack high temperatures and equally high speed. Drying your hair at high temperatures causes breakage because your hair is vulnerable. More moisture is lost as heat is increased. It gets worse if you hold the hair dryer against your hair.
Blow dryers with multiple heat settings are great. They let you dial down the temperature which lowers chances of heat damage. Buying a dryer with a cool shot button is a plus. Apart from cooling your scalp if the heat is too much, it locks in curls and moisture. This keeps your hair looking fuller for longer.
Features packed in the best hair dryer for fine hair
- Ionic function. Most professional-style hair dryers have an ionic function. Other dryers feature one that can be switched on or off with a button. Dryers with this function are ideal because the function protects hair, reduces frizz, improves shine and banishes static. Tests have found that an ionic setting reduced microscopic signs of hair damage. Such damage would have otherwise occurred by drying at high temperatures and speed. If you use low heat and speed, the function minimizes damage considerably.
- Ceramic technology. Hello shiny hair. Dryers with this feature are designed to prevent frizz and damage while adding shine.
- Concentrator nozzle. This is a narrow attachment that concentrates heat and air flow. It adds volume when directed towards hair roots. You need to keep moving the dryer to avoid heat damage.
- Cool shot. This feature reduces air temperature. This sets your hair better because cool hair holds its style longer. Some cool shot buttons can be stiff and may need to be pressed continuously.
- Diffuser. It might take longer to dry your hair while using a diffuser but it gives your hair some TLC. Its prongs hold up your hair in sections giving volume to the roots. The best part about this feature is the extent to which it reduces the ferocity of air flow.
- Hanging loop. It might seem insignificant but this feature is important. A loop at the top of the power cable comes in handy when storing the dryer. It is useful for hanging the dryer while it cools to prevent accidents.
- Power cord. Length matters if you like to style your hair as you watch yourself in the mirror. Dryers come with power cords ranging from less than two meters to more than three meters. For the right price. You can get bag one with a retractable cord. During storage, do not wind the cord round the dryer as you risk damaging the internal wiring. This creates a fire risk.
- Tourmaline technology. This technology generates negative ions and aims at speeding up the blow-drying process. It also reduces static.
It is safe to say we are halfway there now that we know what to look for. But there are so many hair dryers in the market so which one should you buy? Here are reviews to help you with that question.
Best Hair Dryer for Fine Hair: A Side by Side Comparison
Sedu Revolution professional dryer 4000i
Elchim classic 2001
BaBylissPro Tourmaline titanium 3000
Solano supersolano professional dryer
Has a cool shot button that is absent in many dryers.
Heating elements made from Swedish Kanthal wire.
Infrared heat technology.
Ceramic technology to prevent frizz and give out heat evenly.
The nanoe technology.
30 percent lighter than other dryers.
No need to invest in other hair straightening tools.
A comfortable grip without stressing the wrist.
Anti-bacterial silver nano coating.
Very fast drying.
Does not come with a free diffuser.
Does not have an ionic feature.
Warranty is limited and does not cover all parts.
Heavier than most dryers.
No dual voltage switch.
1. Sedu Revolution Professional Hair Dryer (4000i)
I was fooled a tad by how compact the Sedu Revolution Professional hair dryer looks. I expected it to be heavy and difficult to maneuver. Let’s say I was pleasantly surprised. It weighs close to nothing.
This hair dryer dots on your hair. It delivers sleekness, shine and volume to your crowning glory. Sedu is a brand with a history of excellence and has come up with a dryer like no other. If you wish to revolutionalize hair styling, this dryer is for you.
- Has a cool shot button that is absent in many dryers.
- The tourmaline coated ionic generator helps reduces frizz and static by locking in moisture and sealing the hair cuticle.
- Comes with a 2 years warranty.
- Has six heat/speed settings, so you can choose what works best for your hair.
What I love about it
- The dryer is 30 percent lighter than other dryers in the market. No need to fret about sore arm muscles.
- You can choose to whether to use the ionic technology or not. It has a switch that turns this function on or off. This feature is not present in many other dryers.
- The six heat or speed settings ensure that this dryer caters for people of diverse hair types.
It is unfortunate that it does not come with a free diffuser. You however get two concentrators with each purchase. That can make it up for the lack of a diffuser, right?
2. Elchim Classic 2001 Dryer
It would be impossible to talk about good blow dryers without mentioning the Elchim Classic 2001 Dryer. This appliance packs power, performance and practicality in a stylish design. It won the In Style Magazine Best In Class -May 2014 award so I had to try it. Mine came in a beautiful scarlet red and with a design that is easy on the eyes.
- Its heating elements are made from Swedish Kanthal wire. The body is made of polycarbonate plastic. These features make it shock and flame resistant.
- The dryer has a longer useful life courtesy of a 2000 double balanced motor.
- Has two filters allowing better even air distribution.
- Warranty covers it for a lifetime
- There are two variable speeds to choose from and four different temperature degrees for perfect control.
What I love about it
- Hair dries faster with less damage thanks to the high pressure air in this dryer.
- The possibility of short-circuiting is lessened by its thick power cord.
- There is no need to buy a flat iron. This dryer does the same straightening job offered by flat irons.
- The hot and cold settings are consistent when chosen
Sadly, the Elchim Classic 2001 does not have an ionic feature.
There also have been complaints about the location of the on, off, and temperature settings buttons. Users find the buttons inconveniently located with some switching off the unit while in use.
3. BaBylissPro Tourmaline Titanium 3000 Dryer
The BabyBlissPro Tourmaline Titanium 3000 Dryer is a professional tool that gives you salon-quality results at home. This dryer boasts an average of four and a half stars from close to eight hundred reviews (at the time when this review was written).
The first thing I noticed when this dryer was delivered is the rubberized finish. Talk of comfort. The grip feels good and using it is a breeze.
- Far infrared heat. The system dries your hair without completely stripping its moisture. Infrared rays target the ‘atmosphere’ around the hair strand. This means your hair strands do not come in direct contact with the heat rays.
- High power. It has a powerful motor that couples with a customized turbine shaped nozzle to dry your hair faster.
- Ionic technology. The negatively charged ions fuse with positive ions present in your hair to give your hair volume while straightening it.
What I love about it
- This dryer is perfect for professionals as it provides a more comfortable grip without stressing the wrist.
- Has a 2 years limited warranty.
- The dryer has strong air flow making the drying process fast.
- It is possible to pinpoint airflow using an additional concentrator.
- The warranty is limited and does not cover all parts.
- It might cause long hair to tangle because the motor vent isn’t properly covered.
- It is noisy.
4. Solano Supersolano Professional Hair Dryer
The Supersolano is popular with professionals and equally good at home. Women and men on the go could greatly benefit from this dryer. Its manufacturers promised fast drying time and the dryer delivers just that.
- Ceramic technology to prevent frizz and give out heat evenly.
- Has low EMF to reduce environmental concerns and keep you safe.
- Includes 3 temperature settings
- The AC motor is weight-balanced for maximum quality performance.
- Uses far infrared heat to dry hair.
What I love about it
- The 12-foot extended duty cord that makes blow drying while moving about easy is a joy.
- The inner surface of the dryer has a silver nano coating that is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Environmental and health concerns have been addressed by low EMF.
- The dryer has a scratch-resistant body.
- It is heavier than most hair dryers.
- The Supersolano can get very hot so it is advisable not to hold it in one position for long.
5. Panasonic EH-NA65-K nanoe Hair Dryer
I’m a girly girl, so when I opened the packaging and found the dryer is pink I was excited to the core. The Panasonic EH-NA65-K powerful hair dryer definitely stands out from the pack. It takes ionic technology to a whole other level.
The nanoe dryer draws out naturally occurring moisture from the surroundings and turns it into micro-size particles containing 1,000 times more moisture than other ionic dryers. These nanoe particles are infused into hair shafts during drying to minimize frizz while shielding hair from over drying.
- Nanoe technology reduces damage and enhances hair’s smoothness and shine.
- Dryer comes with three pro-quality Panasonic nanoe attachments. A dual airflow Quick-Dry Nozzle designed to dry hair faster. A Concentrator Nozzle to focus airflow for precise styling. A full-sized Diffuser to add volume and combat frizz.
- It packs 1875 watts of raw power and has five control settings.
What I love about it
- The hair dryer is quieter than most in the market.
- The three different attachments snap into place and can be used for whatever orientation you prefer.
- It dries hair in a blink. Personally, I think it is the fastest drier out there.
- At first glance it looks heavy but it is very light and easy to handle.
- Some consumers claim it smells like burnt plastic while in use.
- It does not have a dual voltage switch.
Among the biggest mistakes a fine-haired girl can make, not thoroughly drying your hair features prominently. Not only does it look limp and depressed but you also have to deal with flyaway hair. A quality hair dryer can add volume to your hair significantly.
Drugstore hair dryers may be cheaper but their lifeline is short and the damage they cause to your hair is appalling. This is why you should invest in quality dryers. The best part is most of these top of the range dryers offer salon-quality results.
While all the above dryers are great for fine-haired ladies, I would recommend the Panasonic EH-NA65-K dryer. It locks in moisture using its nanoe technology. This saves your hair from being brittle and fragile. It also comes with three attachments so you do not spend extra money buying them. If you don’t own one of these babies, it’s time to go shopping.