Spray tans cover your body with a fine mist that has an ingredient called Dihydroxyacetone DHA. DHA interacts with your skin’s chemistry to bronze it. The change in your skin color lasts for between 3 to 7 days. Though self-tanning or sunless tanning doesn’t provide any protection from the sun’s rays, it is completely safe on your skin.
The mist can be sprayed using an airbrush or air gun. These devices resemble the paint guns painters use. Air guns are suitable for home use because they are light and mobile. You can also buy a spray tan bottle for home use.
If you decide to spray tan at home, you need to be cautious because quite frankly, you are not an expert. Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to guide you.
- Do exfoliate. This will remove any gunk stuck to your skin. Exfoliating helps the tan to layer well on your skin and stay longer.
- Do not moisturize before using the spray tan machine. Moisturizers create a barrier between your skin and the spray.
- Do apply generous amounts of a barrier cream to areas that are susceptible to absorbing more product: knees, palms, feet, elbows, and ankles.
- Do not worry if the spray gets into your eyes, mouth or nose. It is not toxic.
- Do shower and don’t be afraid to exercise the day after tanning. Showering and sweating will not affect the results.
- Do not shave, exfoliate or use abrasive products after tanning to preserve your tan.
- Do keep your mucous membranes safe. DHA is not toxic but it is best to keep it off mucous membranes. Keep your eyes closed and hold your breath if you must. Do not open your mouth and apply lip balm on your lips.
- Do buy foundation or bronzer in a darker shade (for ladies and metrosexual men). You will be a shade or two darker so your normal foundation will not match your skin tone.
- Do not swim in a chlorinated swimming pool. Chlorine makes artificial tans fade faster.
- Do moisturize your skin after spray tanning. It helps the skin retain your tan and keeps you looking fresh and radiant.
- Do not wear your favorite inner wear when spray tanning. The mist stains clothing.
Pros of Spray Tanning
It is very easy. All you have to do is spray yourself or have someone spray you. You then blend it in a little and that’s it.
It is not time consuming. Spray tanning solutions dries up faster than most tanning products. You can hug your partner 30 minutes after a spray tan without get color on them.
How to Spray Tan at Home?
Skin patch test. Test how the spray tan will react with a section of your skin. This should be the rule of thumb with a skin care products. Each person has unique body chemistry so the results you friends get after using spray tans will not be similar to yours.
Test for color. You are going to stand out like a sore thumb if you do not do this. Spray tan machines have levels that you should first try out before using on your entire body. You do not want to look like a carrot on your wedding day.
Be mindful of surroundings. Do not use the machine near furniture or clothing, pitch a tent of you must. The mist can stain anything it comes in contact with. That is why they have booths in salons.
Read manufacturers’ instructions. Read and follow instructions to attain an even streak free tan. Remember safety precautions found on the machine are there for a reason.
Clean up. Whether you had a makeshift booth or tent or you sprayed yourself in the garage, remember to clean up. Clean the space you used and the machine. You should then store it safely away from children and pets.